Johns Creek Yoga is the fulfillment of a long-held dream for Sheila. She began practicing yoga in 2000 with the idea that the postures would help stretch the muscles that were contracting as she trained for a half-marathon. What she discovered is that yoga stretched her mind and soul as much as it did her muscles. Her greatest pleasure is the opportunity to share the gift of yoga, and in that spirit, she resolved to bring a studio to her community in Johns Creek. In addition to daily classes at the studio, she facilitates Yoga teacher training and offers retreats and workshops both locally and internationally. Sheila’s classes are focused on alignment and infused with spirit and soulful exploration of the body, but they are also light-hearted and fun. She relishes the playfulness of the practice and encourages her students to be fearless and attempt new things in a safe and supported atmosphere. As a former Professor of American literature, Sheila loves to explore the connections between philosophy, poetry, religion and yoga, often building class around a specific theme or ending with a favorite poem or quotation. Sheila completed her 200 hour teacher training at Peachtree Yoga Center in Sandy Springs, and she completed her 500 hour training at the Kripalu Center in Massachusettes. She has trained with many incredible teachers, and she is honored to carry forth the wisdom and guidance that she received from them. She continues to take advantage of every opportunity to train and learn and will forever consider herself a student of this beautiful and ancient practice.
300-Hour Teacher Training Program
Johns Creek Yoga 300-Hour Teacher Training Program
To be eligible for the 300hr yoga instructor certification you will need to have already obtained a Yoga Alliance certification at the 200hr level, (from Johns Creek Yoga or elsewhere).
In even the highest quality 200hr yoga instructor certifications, there is only so much you can learn. A 300hr certification demonstrates that you have taken the time to dive more deeply into the rich history, art and science of yoga, and into your own practice. Our program emphasizes experience in the belief that it is only possible to take students where you have already gone yourself. We balance that experience with practical tools to help you share what you have learned with your own students all while providing you with flexibility in scheduling your course work
About Your Trainer
Awaken the Teacher Within
We understand that most teachers who are pursuing deeper training at this level are already immersed in teaching careers and are often juggling multiple responsibilities. Our aim is to offer a program that will create as little disruption in your daily life as possible while still enriching your understanding of these ancient and powerful practices and enhancing your skills as an instructor.
How do I get certified?
To obtain certification, you are required to complete 11 modules plus one practicum. You can customize them according to your interests. This can be completed in as little as 12-18 months, or you can take up to 3 years. Most modules run from Friday to Sunday, but some are longer or shorter depending upon subject matter. They are taught by our experienced staff and by various other experts in their fields. Seven are mandatory, and four are electives with restricted subject matter. Modules are generally open to the public as well, so you will be among both teachers and students seeking deeper understanding of their practice.
Required Modules (click on titles for more detailed information)
Meditation and Pranayama 5-day Immersion with Sheila McVay: July 26-30, 2017
Sacred Texts-Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras With Sheila McVay: June 10-11, 2017
Yoga and Ayurveda with Sheila McVay and Mayuri Mulji April 28-30, 2017
Teaching Trauma Sensitive Yoga with Amy Pancake
Designing and Leading Transformative Workshops and Retreats with Sheila McVay: February 9-11, 2018
Creative Theming and Sequencing with Tami Roberts and Sheila McVay
Embodied Anatomy with Grace Jull: May 18-21, 2017
After Completion of all 7 required modules, you may schedule your Practicum which will require you to design and teach a 3-hour workshop of your choice under the guidance of one of our instructors at Johns Creek Yoga
Choose ONE of these Sacred Scripture Modules:
- Sacred Scriptures and Philosophy: The Bhagavad Gita with Sheila McVay
- Sacred Scriptures and Philosophy: The Hatha Yoga Pradipika with Sheila McVay
Choose Three electives from the following:
- Grounded Kids Yoga with Amy Haysman August 25-27, 2017
- Teaching Yin Yoga (with Certification) with Dennis and Kathy Lang: August 11-13, 2017
- Mantra Yoga Intensive with Ian Boccio, June 23-25, 2017
- Advanced Assisting with Tami Roberts and Cybele Steen
- Thai Yoga Bodywork with Michael Sitzer (2 of 3 weekends are required to count towards RYT300)
- Sustainable Yoga and Anatomy with Sean Tebor: September 28- October 1, 2017
- A $50 non-refundable application fee is required for consideration of acceptance. Download the application here: 300 hour Teacher Training Application Then email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A $250 non-refundable enrollment fee is required upon acceptance. This covers tracking of hours and graduation documentation.
- Prices for each module will vary from $120 for shorter programs to $800 for the Meditation Immersion. Most 3 day modules will cost approximately $300. You will pay per module upon enrollment for each.